The Sisters of Charity of Our Lady Mother of the Church devote
themselves to the works of charity wherever there is a need.
In a spirit of simplicity they offer their lives, in
selfless service, to Jesus through Mary.
Sisters of Charity were originally
formed part of the Institute of the Sisters of Charity of
Our Lady Mother of Mercy, founded in 1832 in Holland by the
late Bishop of Tilburg, Most Reverend John Zwysen. On June
4, 1970, under the leadership of Mother Marie Alma Lafond,
the Congregation of the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady
Mother of the Church was erected as an autonomous religious
institute of diocesan right.
It views its mission as a living part of its Founder
relived within the framework of the original mission of
educating and caring for children, nursing the sick and
caring for the aging. Supported by the testimonial
letters of the other Diocesan Bishops concerned, the
Bishop of Norwich submitted to the Holy See the request
that the Institute be recognized as of pontifical right.
Our Most Holy Father, Pope John Paul II, graciously
granted, on July 7, 1993, a favorable answer to the
request by declaring the Institute of the Sisters of
Charity of Our Lady Mother of the Church to be a
religious institute of Pontifical Right.