Institute of the Sisters of St. Peter Claver was founded in 1894
by the Blessed Mary Theresa Ledochowska. She started by
dedicating her literary talent to fighting slavery and to
protesting against the inhuman treatment of women then prevalent
in Africa. Gradually she renounced her brilliant position at the
Tuscan Court in order to embrace a life of poverty,
self-sacrifice, and complete dedication to the service of the
missionary Church. Her new institute spread to many countries in
Europe, to both Americas, Australia, Africa, and Asia. Though
small in number, it has at present sisters of twenty-eight
nationalities. Houses in the United States are in Chesterfield,
Missouri; St. Paul, Minnesota; and Chicago, Illinois.
The apostolate of
their Chesterfield and Chicago houses is mission animation
through correspondence with benefactors; through their mission
magazine, Echo From Africa; and through personal contact. The
apostolate of the St. Paul, Minnesota house is printing Catholic
literature for the missions.
Postulancy is six
months to two years; novitiate, two years; temporary vows
renewed each year for three years, then once for a period of
three years; then perpetual vows.